Wednesday, November 11, 2009

You Never Know When You Will Make A Difference

This has been a busy work week (I know, I’m on sabbatical, and not suppose to be able to say that, but....) and I made two public presentations this week. One to a group of first year students here at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and the other across town at Lingnan University. Jackie had been instrumental in getting the first one organized as she “volunteered” my services to the colleagues she’s been working with at HKUST in student affairs and with their community engagement program. The second came about through my friendship with colleague Dean Tjosvold, a chaired professor of management (and intentionally renowned scholar in the area of constructive conflict) at Lingnan.

Both were rewarding and the students were quite attentive and had lots of good questions. They seemed really eager to understand something more about what leadership meant and looked like. The Vice-Provost at HKUST sent me this note: "Thanks again for a wonderful seminar. We provide many learning experiences to our students, with the hope that some will actually light a fire inside them. I believe it happened last night."

This reminds me about why we put the time and energy into doing the things that we do – on occasion, we really do make a difference. The folks at Lingnan are thinking about how I might be able to help them set up a leadership center. We’ll see what happens with that opportunity.

Hope you are making progress on the things that matter to you.

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment